Best Places to Eat
While famous for its lobster and wild blueberries, there is a lot more to enjoy during your stay at the Bass Cottage Inn. Area restaurants range from lobster pounds to pubs to acclaimed gourmet restaurants. Almost every restaurant offers vegetarian and gluten-free options. Advance reservations are usually recommended, and we’re happy to assist.
There are many restaurants in Bar Harbor and on the island — these are our personal recommendations.Walking distance from the Inn
- CafÉ This Way
- Funky and fresh dinner menu, just off the Village Green.
- Cottage Street Pub
- Creative, hole-in-the-wall cocktail bar near the Inn.
- Seafood, chops, chicken presented in straightforward recipes.
- Eclectically-decorated family-friendly gathering place serving lobster, brick oven pizza, and American favorites.
- Local ingredients with pan-Latin flair; famous for mojitos but try the Caipirinha cocktail.
- Mache Bistro
- Award-winning local bistro with a talented chef/owner; tough to get a seat, so book ahead.
- Thin-crust New York style pizza; locals rejoice when they reopen each year.
- Side Street CafÉ
- Casual and fun, best choice for lunch or a casual dinner. Best lobster rolls and burgers on the island.
- The Burning Tree, Otter Creek
- For over 25 years, offering a creative menu focusing on seafood and their own garden; 15 minute drive from the Inn.
- Red Sky, Southwest Harbor
- Consistently great cuisine and service; 25 minute drive from the Inn.
- Thurston’s Lobster Pound, Bernard
- Guests ask us, “Where’s the best place to enjoy lobster?” THIS is it! 25-30 minute drive from the Inn.
- Islesford Dock Restaurant
- Take the mail boat or private water taxi to this wonderful quiet island. On the dock you’ll find the Islesford Dock Restaurant - outstanding ingredients, artful presentation, beautiful sunset vistas of the little fishing harbor and the mountains of Acadia National Park. A very special evening, indeed!